Saturday, December 02, 2006

Stephane Dion: Worried, Yet?


He's an academic ... was a cabinet minister under the old guard of Jean Chretien ... turfed out and then later welcomed back into the ministerial fold by Paul Martin ...

And as of several minutes ago, Stephane Dion just became the new leader of the Liberal Party.

Now, I'm no poli-sci major. I get by with what I know about elections and government, absorbed by people at work talking about it, and watching some TV. I only tune in when there's a good fight or something juicy going on. But the whole thing makes me (a) uneasy, and (b) want to research other countries to live in.

I'm sure the man's pleased at punch with what he did. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Bring on the next election!" I mean, who on earth - outside of supporters - thought this guy would win? From all appearances, he's got the personality of tepid milk.

But what's scarier is that Stephen Harper's muzzling, micromanaging Conservative government probably can't wait to throw down the gauntlet. 'Cause when the next election is called, they may be sailing towards a majority government on the silver platter Dion hands to them. The only one that seems to think this won't happen is Dion himself.

Dion has said previously has the charisma to move people in this country. Really? Because I was watching the convention happenings yesterday, and only saw the man spring "alive" when he won. I've come into contact with smelly gym sneakers with more charisma.

Wonder what Spain's like this time of year ... ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give him a chance; you barely know anything about him. Read up on his bio, I'm sure you'll come to appreciate him.

AquariusDragon said...

D, I have to agree with Anonymous! Dion was the underdog in the leadership election and he made it through. He's an intelligent man and I believe he can do a lot for the country and a heck of a better job than Harper. Dion brings a fresh approach and I'm excited to see the results. So, here's to a Liberal majority in the next election!

D.C. said...

The Liberals have to clean major house, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm still not sure that (a) it'll happen overnight or if (b) Dion's the man to do it. Just have to watch and see.

And we've already felt the Conservatives' wrath in a majority situation.

Frankly, I'd be happy with a minority government of any kind. You're both entitled to your opinions.

Anonymous said...

i'm with you, Di!
Dion may very well be intelligent and have the very best of intentions, but it takes more than that to be a Great leader.
so far he lacks charisma and passion. Dion won because he was the least controversial of the lot... How uninspiring.
The majority of Canada has not heard of him til now. sure, in time they will get to know Dion; but will it be too late?
if Harper plays his cards right, he will force an election Very soon... before the country gets a chance to know the real Dion.