Sunday, May 06, 2007

Going it Alone

I was puttering around in my bedroom earlier, listening to the radio, when the DJ brought up the subject of doing things alone - going to the movies, to concerts, clubs, bars, etc. - and then inviting people to call in with their opinions.

Of the few phone responses I caught, a few people were of the opinion, "Why not? I do it from time to time, and I'm just fine with it."

It made me wonder about my own social habits.

For the most part, I meet up with friends to go for meals, or for drinks, or just general twenty- and thirty-something debauchery.

But I have gone out on occasion by myself to do things. I remember the first time I did it. I was 19 or 20, and it was Thanksgiving. I couldn't go home because I had to work. So instead of eating the food in the cafeteria, I decided I was leaving campus. So I went to Swiss Chalet, got a table for one, and happily ate while reading a book.

Another time, I went to an independent movie that I really wanted to see. I never bothered asking any of my other friends, either because (a) they probably wouldn't like or relate to the film, and (b) if I waited on someone to have some free time to see the movie, it probably would have done its run.

So I made the decision one day, went downtown, bought my ticket, made my way to the theatre. I'm not going to lie. It did felt weird at first, sitting at the back of the sparsely-populated theatre while other people sat in seats in front of me with friends. But I forgot about it long enough to watch. I once remember saying, "If people were meant to always go to the movies with friends, then they would be selling tickets in pairs." And one day, I finally decided to practice what I had been preaching (mainly to myself).

Another time, I decided, on a whim, to attend a social event I was invited to, by someone I met at a party a couple of weeks prior (held by a couple of friends getting married). It was kinda weird in parts, but I did it nonetheless.

Last year I went to two concerts by myself. It wasn't bad at all. I put in my earplugs and moved along with the songs, singing out loud to the lyrics I knew. I'd probably do it again.

Some people might think, "Big deal. People do stuff by themselves all the time."

But that's just it. I don't know a lot of people who actively go to social events by themselves. I can understand why the thought of going somewhere, into a situation where you don't know a soul, would be daunting. You don't want to attract crazy people. At the same time, you don't want complete strangers coming to the conclusion that you're some sort of loner, either.

But those people who do things by themselves, hats off to them. It's all about self-confidence and independence. And it could be entertaining and enriching.

I think, though, once you do it a couple times, you get over the discomfort of being alone in a crowd quicker and quicker each time.

One thing that I haven't done is travel by myself. I hear it's one of the scariest, but one of the best things, you can do, if you have the chance. I've been told you really learn about yourself as a person. And maybe I'll do that one day.

What do you think? Are you the type of person that just goes out and does stuff alone on a regular basis (and I don't mean shopping or banking, either)? Or do you prefer doing things with friends?

Funny random sidebar: The picture I used from this post is actually a painting from the Web site for actress (and artist) Eve Plumb, a.k.a. Jan Brady. No, seriously! She paints! And she's good, too - I thought a couple of these were photos. Go here and look for yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've travelled alone and i highly recommend it, if you haven't had the chance. it builds character. it's not easy but it's also not that difficult. the beauty is that you can meet people, hang out with them, if you want to.. but you're not restricted to someone else's schedule.