Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Welcome Back, May!

Wow. I can't believe it's May. I thought it would NEVER get here.

Sorry I haven't been as witty with the posting as I usually am. I think I go through some kind of funk between mid-March and the end of April. And tax season doesn't help, either.

I will hopefully write more on the weekend (and publish a couple posts I haven't gotten around to writing yet).

But I just wanted to mention that I went to this awesome event (in my humble opinion) last night.

My friend Dan hosts a reading series called Grownups Read Things They Wrote as Kids. Essentially it is what the name implies - people dig up old journal entries, poems, creative writing stories, letters, etc., they wrote as schoolkids (or teenagers), bring it on down and read some of their handiwork to a willing audience.

I decided to go this time because I unfortunately couldn't make it out the last time, and it turned out to be a huge hit. It generated a column in the Globe and Mail (if you can't access it, lemme know and I'll just send it to you), as well as a mention in the LA Times. No joke.

Last night was good, too. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard until my eyes watered. (Although I'm sure it hasn't been THAT long.)

Of course, now the geek in me wants to take part in the next one, whenever that may be ... so much so that, upon arriving home, I immediately went down to the basement and started unearthing my carefully packed boxes with schoolbooks from days gone by and started mining, (This was at 11:30 at night, of course.) Already, I may have spotted a couple of kooky gems.

I also managed to find my old diaries (and had to jimmy the lock on one of them with a hairpin. I may have busted the lock). Those writings? Mmmmm ... not so much. I much more scatterbrained as a child than I thought.

But whenever the next GRTTWAK night comes up, I'll be armed and ready with some elementary school ramblings.

3 comments:

Dan Misener said...

Thanks so much for coming! I'm not sure when the next one will be. Probably in a few months. But I'll be sure to send an email out, and you can always check http://www.danmisener.com/read/

Thanks again for coming.

Anonymous said...

That's a brilliant idea! And what fun! Let me know when the next one is on!

Karmic Angel said...

YAY! That is so great - I can't wait to hear your stuff, and I highly doubt that it is as bad as you think it is.