Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I Heart Clothing Swaps

I can't resist turning this post into a Girly Service Announcement ...

But I now officially LOVE clothing swaps.

Last night, I went to a friend's house for one of her clothing swap extravanganzas. I've been before, but each time I go, they just get better and bigger.

Allow me to give you the reasons why you should either go to one, or organize one:

1. It's the perfect opportunity to get rid of some of your old clothes. Got old t-shirts, sweaters, shirts, skirts or pants that you no longer wear or don't want, but are taking up room in your closet? If someone you know decides to offer up their home for a clothing swap, it's the perfect excuse to stuff all those duds into a huge plastic bag and cart it over to your friend's house. Unless you suddenly grow attached to all the clothes you plan on throwing out, you never have to see them again.

2. You can find new pieces of clothes without even opening your wallet. It's almost in the same vein as patiently going through racks of clothes at Winners or Value Village. If you wait long enough, something in your size will eventually appear from a huge mound of clothes, calling your name. It's weird how you think you won't find anything, and you end up carting back a bag full of clothes. And you don't have to pay a cent.

Plus, you'd be surprised what some people bring. Some items of clothes still have the tags attached. Someone at the swap I was at last night got rid of two pairs of Prada pants. Two! If they were anywhere near my size, I would have tried those on. And you don't have to limit it to clothes - some people bring almost-never-worn shoes.

3. Picking up clothes can also be a democratic process. At the swap I was at last night, if more than one woman wanted a piece of clothing "advertised" by the hostess, they all took turns rolling dice. The one with the highest number won. I personally would like to see a clothing swap where decisions were made via Rock, Paper, Scissors. (It might be long, but possibly interesting ...)

And even if you don't get what you want, there is sometimes a good chance that the piece of clothing you wanted this time around may turn up at the next clothing swap.

4. It's great for meeting new people, and catching up with old ones. Really, who doesn't like an excuse for a social gathering with munchies, wine and conversation?

5. It's usually in the name of a good cause. Whatever clothes left over aren't necessarily tossed in the trash - usually it's carted away to a local charity.

So as the weather gets colder, if you're trying to figure out how you're going to amuse yourself when winter hits, and a plain old wine-and-cheese party just won't cut it, consider this an alternative.

Besides, I just remembered - I've still got a couple T-shirts and a pair of jeans I'm willing to contribute! Someone, please hold one again soon!

No comments: