Sunday, May 21, 2006

Boycotting Da Vinci

I'm probably going to be one of the few non-religious people NOT going to see The Da Vinci Code. Ever, if I can help it.

Yes, I actually read the book (and am not ashamed). It's not spectacular. But it's a light, Sunday afternoon page-turner.

While I don't believe the "history" of the book's storyline to be true (if it was, then it wouldn't be fiction), I like the fact there are ideas which suggest the truth might be different to what's currently out there. I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person.

What I really don't like is how Hollywood likes to turn most published bestsellers (or TV shows, for that matter) into movies. And we ALL know there's rarely (if EVER) been a case where a movie's stayed true to the vein of a book. It's Hollywood.

So, I'm not going for two reasons:

1. Despite what critics have said, this Hollywood schlock is going to do well anyway. It will just have to do so without my $10 to $13.

2. Tom Hanks as Prof. Langdon. Tom Hanks?? What?! I like Tom Hanks. I will more readily shuck out money to see Tom Hanks in a movie over Tom Cruise, period. But I'm sure that as soon as Ron Howard found out Dan Brown optioned the movie rights to that book, he was on that bad boy like lice on lint. And since he and Tom are buddies, I somehow don't think he even bothered auditioning anyone for this part.

I'm keeping my summer blockbuster movie quota for the summer to two or three, and I'm certainly not starting with this one. When Nacho Libre and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest are released, then we'll talk.

2 comments:

What Does It Matter Anyways? said...

Okay, go ahead and boycott me, it's not my fault they linked me to this funny movie.

Sincerely,
Leonardo Da Vinci

D.C. said...

Well, if they didn't sully your name for the sake of the almighty buck, I probably won't ... hey - what happened to never speaking to me again?