Monday, May 22, 2006

Shakespeare, Reconsidered (kinda)

So, I went out with Shakespeare and a friend of mine last week.

I think he may have met his match with my friend who, aside from being a co-worker, is an artist in her own right, in her spare time. It was kinda funny when Shakespeare and I went out for drinks afterwards and he said, "Your friend is pretty intense." (This coming from someone I find overwhelming.)

I asked, "You're not scared, are you?"

"No, " he replied. "She's definitely passionate about things ... she's just a bit overwhelming." (I tried not to smirk. Do you know how HARD that is for me?)

So I softened up a bit after that. So I think things may be a bit better. Or it could've been because I was tired and it was late. But who knows?

I got my friend's impression of him, later on that week. She described him as "rather cool, if a bit anal." He's a man of conviction, she concluded, but he's surprisingly set in his ways, and narrow-minded.

He apparently also exudes "total bachelor" who hides behind his fusspot personality to test people. Guess he's not someone who easily trusts people, which can be understandable. And I guess as a result of that he doesn't have many friends, and is clinging to the ones he makes.

She added we were from completely different worlds. I definitely agree with her assessment. I don't think he knows or understands that. I wonder how long it'll be before he sees that, too.

So essentially, he needs to meet more people. Then he won't rely on me so much. At least, that's what I understand.

And I must amend slightly what I said below. If the impression I gave was that I dislike poets, that's not what I meant. I just think I attract strange people. All the time.

I have -- and will -- occasionally talked to people I meet on the street. All types of people. I'm sure a lot of other people have. I'm just tired of attracting the eccentric ones who think I'm a kindred spirit. (Believe me, I'm boring. Move on elsewhere.)

No comments: